this is lärm – a quad noise maker / weird filter / panner

lärm is based on 4 circuit bent op-amps and 4 LFOs…it can be used in a quad speaker environment or just via a stereo mix of its 4 quadrants / channels…both control and playing surface are separated this way, though the latter allows overlapping of its areas…a plethora of connections can be made via touch…some will create oscillations with various pitches, or some can mute the signal and change its timbre while the LFOs can interact with all of those…buzzing, hum, crackling from the LFO, arhythmic patterns and much more…the timbre of the internal oscillations is at times shrill and harsh…a very direct and intense sound that becomes especially interesting when blended with other sound sources via the 4 inputs…there are also a bunch of stable and unstable CV outputs from the LFOs…even patch cables inserted into one or more of the these outputs can be used to alter sound by touching the playing surface with it…its endless…

this is lärm no. 2 – a noise box / preamp / matrix mixer hybrid…

here is the set-up: in the center sit 2 preamps with insane gain stages …below that are 2 frequency dividers which can be directly connected to each of the preamps…on the right is a passive ring modulator whose circuit has been “opened” and can be altered by touch…intense and very unpredictable outbursts of noise are the “results”…everything is (as usual) interconnectable, so even plugging in a contact mic, your electric ukulele, or whatever else you have laying around can make some incredible noise!

  1. noise study part 1 2:33
  2. noise study part 2 2:39
  3. noise study part 3 5:15
  4. noise study part 4 3:12
  5. noise study part 5 5:13

so, it has been a little quiet here on, but nonetheless I’ve been busy with lots of creative projects…and I am gonna show you where it all begun:

my first instrument/interface “das manual no.1” was build last summer, inspired by  Oskar Sala’s Trautonium Manual…since there are only 2 on the planet, why not building one! have a look:

instead of fiddling with a metal wire, I used a softpot ribbon hooked up to a stereo jack…connected to a ribbon controller module…which creates pitch CV, gate and pulse signals…for the volume control I used an FSR pressure sensor connected to a VCA, which works perfectly with a piece of rubber foam (that yellow chunk there!) under one of the side bars…done! and it WORKS!